You will need:
- Small plastic hair elastics (braid ends)
- Regular hair elastic (pony tail)
- Bun pins (V shaped)
- Hair brush and comb
- Bristle paintbrush, 1.5-2 inches wide
- Bobby pins (optional)
- Spray bottle of water (optional)
- Scent (optional), kitchen vanilla or oil of essence (e.g. lavendar)
Any way you cook it, the goal is to get it hot enough to melt… skim off bubbles, and apply while it still flows but isn’t scalding…you may wish to prepare night before and then set to WARM in the morning (for those early morning events!).
Ingredients per head
8 small envelopes Knox gelatin (8 tablespoons if bulk), 2/3 cup boiling water, scent as desired.
Crockpot: Similar to rice cooker.
Rice Cooker: Mix gelatin and water together until well mixed. Add scent if desired. Turn cooker on HIGH for 5 minutes until mixture melts (break large clumps against edge with spoon). Once mixture is melted, turn cooker to WARM for at least 15 minutes. Skim off any scum/bubbles off the top. Gel should be clear.
Microwave: Mix gelatin and water together until well mixed in microwave safe container. Add scent if desired. Microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes (watch it doesn’t boil over). Break any large clumps against edge with spoon. Wait for scum/bubbles to surface and remove.
Tea Kettle (not recommended): If you only have access to hot water… mix water, gelatin, scent (optional). Try to break any large clumps apart. Gel will remain cloudy.
Making the Synchro Bun
- Brush hair, removing all tangles. If fly aways, dampen with water (spray bottle best).
- Pull hair into a tight, high, ponytail, securing with an elastic.
- If swimmer has bangs secure with bobby pins.
- If swimmer has curly hair or nape is loose, secure with bobby pins.
- Divide ponytail into 3-5 sections (depending on thickness/quantity of hair) and make braids, securing with small elastics.
- Take each braid, one at a time, and wrap them around the ponytail elastic. Secure using V bun pins in multiple spots.
- Once all braids are in wound into the bun, secure with more V bun pins.
Applying the Gel
- Have swimmer sit in a chair with small towel around shoulders.
- Test gel for heat and consistency before applying (must be hot but not scalding, and fluid not sticky).
- Dip paintbrush into gel, getting enough on but not so much it’s dripping (re-dip each stroke).
- Apply first layer stroke 1/2 inch from hair line moving back towards the bun.
- Apply in four head postions: chin up (keeps drips from face), ear left, ear right, chin down.
- Once layer becomes tacky, apply second.
- Apply second layer at or slightly passed hair line and back towards the bun.
- Apply second layer in four head postions: chin up (keeps drips from face), ear left, ear right, chin down.
- Apply layer to the hair bun.
- Once set (no longer tacky) add bun cover and headpiece (as directed by coach).
TIP: Wash you paintbrush immediately in HOT water. If it dries in between layers, wash it then too!
Gel Removal Tips
- Sooner the better
- Hottest water tolerable
- Citrus-based shampoo and conditioner helps
- Use a brush or comb in shower (once loose)
- Spraying with pineapple juice helps dissolve
- Pay particular attention to temple area